January 21, 2009

F-art Collection

JNU has this lovely collection of books which they call the Art Collection. It adorns the racks most of the time since it can't be issued. I find it incredibly stupid. Some books have five or six copies, but no, they won't issue any. I feel like clobbering them on their heads.

And stuff that CAN be issued and is worth reading can never be found. I was looking for a translation of Bhasa's plays, they have three copies, but all three are missing. Even the government run Asiatic Library is more organised despite less security and less technology. Those guys manually log books and here they have all those jazzy barcodes but can't figure when they lose a book within this mammoth library. I've heard PhD students can just take books if they feel like it and lock them into their study cupboards. There is no track of who takes what and for all you know, a doctoral candidate could hoard books like that for years. I think that is incredibly ridiculous - one should have to log a book as soon as it leaves its floor. I ended up taking my anger out on the guy sitting the the issue counter, though, looking back at it, I think I should have slapped the a%$&^&hole who made me look on the fifth floor for an aeon.

The problem with these big institutions is there are so many idiots at every level you don't know whom to shoot your arrows at. I hate it. I really hate it.

No comments: