April 07, 2006

Vada Pav gal reports from Idlidosadom -1

Bangalore - The Garden City. Well, it was MY idea, coming here and working for a month. That it actually worked out came as a big surprise to me. But, it did !!!

When I got on the plane, I felt really desolate. Bombay has been my home and hearth for 18 years now. I could not stomach the thought of leaving it to work, for a month. I can't remember the last time I was away from home for a month. I seriosuly debated the consequences of holding up the plane and going back and abandoning my plan. But then I remembered all the planning I'd done and the five 'W's and one 'H'' I had used to justify this. So, very much against my wishes, I stifled that thought.

My first day here, I saw how this city closes down by 7.00 pm. Sleepy city is defnitely more befitting a title than Garden City. Though of course, I remember the flowers at the airport and the 'Welcome to Bangalore' that went with it.

April 4, 2006 - My 18th birthday, my first day of work. Another intern at 'The Hindu', took me to KFC. Well, it was nothing like Mc Donald's, with tasteless stuff and a very gaudy decor. I kind of hate the place. The first article I wrote was a piece on dehydration, summer etc etc, that was printed on the next day.

April 5, 2006 - We started work on a feature on kids and their vacations. On a whim, I called
Meghna to ask her a few official questions regarding her vacation plans. We ended up meeting for lunch at Mc Donald's, and then going over to her place. I spent practically two working hours there, but then, it was a working lunch !!!

There are plans of going to Nrityagram on Sunday....how cool is that !!!!!! I'm so absolutely thrilled !!!!

April 6, 2006 - The only funny thing today was this - I was busy scaring my cousin with the story of 'Ghost of Mae Nak', when we heard some weird sounds from the terrace. And precisely when we'd come around to speculating that a thief was on the terrace, the lights went off. Despite being 'responsible' adults at 18, we yelled like Banshees and darted for her mom and dad. Her mom boldly went off to investigate and came back with the mundane - a rat or squirrel was practising his chowkas on the solar panels.....

Then we were both put to sleep in the 'little kids who don't understand anything' manner.

April 7, 2006 - I've had a good day today. I finally went to KC Das after hearing of it for a long long time. And I discovered the place is real cheap and good. I like the stuff there. In short, khub bhalo.

If the circumstances permit, me a.k.a vada pav gal shall report more often. Vada pav, well, that reminds me of a Bombay vada pav stall I saw on Brigade Road, which sold the thing for a ridiculous price. I mean, price your vada pav at Rs. 8 in Bombay and see what they do to you........

3 comments:

Ipsita said...

so ur vada pav girl now? news to us...thought u were more of the bhajia pav variety...hey entrepreneurial idea pour toi...y dont u set up a cheaper vada-pav stall in blr...ppl wil flock to you and u will never have to see the face of BMM again... also , later business diversification could include bhajia pav, samosa pav , cutlet pav etc... KC Das ha..brings back fond Kolkatan memories :)
take care and keep up the excellent work :P

Anonymous said...

hmm...

Ranjana said...

Ya rite. I was thinking I should probably sell vada pav at Vasantahabba and donate the money to Nrityagram....lol. Bangaloreans like vada pav a lot u see. And why do you u want me to NOT SEE THE FACE OF BMM. I am going to come back and ......

Had lunch at kc das today, luchis and aludum and dal.