April 08, 2006

Bangalore: The land of lechers

In Bombay, I can return wearing anything, or maybe even nothing, at 1 am or 5 am or any damn time for that matter. Apart from the usual sickos, not many people will really stop to look at me and ogle. And least of all, wait like morons and observe me for five minutes.

Yesterday, I wore a sleeveless top to work. Body hugging and pink ! NOthing great about that in Bombay, but out here, it's evidently a very big deal. Every single male eye and a few female eyes followed my journey from the house to the bus stop. Every single member of the male species who passed by stopped to ogle at the assets hidden behind my top. One guy actually found a comfortable viewpoint a few metres away and stopped to look at me as I've I'm a stricken Mona Lisa hung in the Louvre for public observation. Unfortunately, I did not have a plexiglass shield like Mona Lisa......

After a few minutes, when I realised he was actually looking at ME for such a long time, I chased him away with all the colourful insults I knew of, Bambaiya gaalis as they are called.

The rest of the day was no better......

Cut to today: In the bus, this seemingly homo guy was busy making overtures at me and the absolutely petrified lady sitting next to me. He leaned over her in this strange manner, till I had to shove him aside with a rough push. Very soon, there ensued a fight between the lady next to me, who suddenly found her voice, and the guy and his group of strange friends. He attempted a boob poke with me while exiting the bus, and was rewarded with a resounding smack on the head accompanied by a war cry of ......something unprintable. Not that it affected him in any way, he and his friends seemed very thrilled at the prospect of being what I told them they were.

All this in two days flat.....makes me want to conclude - Bangalore est une ville de lecheurs de femmes.

PS: Please don't translate that literally. Bangalore is the land of lechers, not women lickers.
On second thoughts, well, is there a great difference in the two anyway ?

13 comments:

Ipsita said...

way to go gal...give it to them...dont give too much, or our mumbai guys will lament their loss...lol

Ranjana said...

Ya rite.....anyway, well, my cousin was scandalised by this post and she totally blames me for it. She told me I shouldn't have exactly gone around in THAT top.

THis place is freaky though, and if they call themselves a CITY, they should know how to behave...

Ai Ling said...

wow, that's interesting! it's not like that all over india rite? Only certain places? coz I was in Delhi and some surrounding places but nothing like that happened. But then again, me and my friends were forewarned not to figure-hugging clothes so maybe that was why, hehe...

Ranjana said...

Well no, not everywhere, but Delhi is one bad place though....its surprising u didnt face anything.

I guess Bangalore, for all the blitz and the 'big city' tag, still has to get used to figure hugging tops and all....

Ai Ling said...

nope, we didn't face anything like that in Delhi. In fact, I really enjoyed my visit there! India's a really fascinating country and my trip was too short, only 9 days :o( but it's my best travel destination thus far :o)

Anonymous said...

GRRRRR...delhi is the BEST CITY IN THE WHOLE WORLD...better then this fuck all MUMBAI CITY...dont know about blore much i was there only for 3 days..anon 1

Ranjana said...

Anon - WEll, you are entitled to your opinion, but to me, Bombay is a great city because I've lived in it all my life and find it real safe too. Btw, the general perception of Delhi is this unsafe place where every girl almost gets raped.....

AL - Ur really lucky u found Delhi safe. Believe me, I have friends who have had a horrible time there....
U shd see the rest of India too. Indeed, it is a very bful place!

Anonymous said...

mumbai is no better then delhi..rape hapens every where all over the world even inside the white house .....u find it safe coz u got a home here..for someone who comes from other city mumbai is another hell for them ...delhi is thousand times better then this mumbai....and trust me perception is an illusion.

Meghna said...

See Ranjana! This is why I told you not to take Bangalore buses! I have lived here almost 10 years and no such thing has ever happened...!! I didn't even know it could frankly... Take ricks right! What are they there for?!

Ranjana said...

Hey Meghna,

Yea take a rick....firstly, I never manage to get one. Yesterday I had to walk all the way from Central College to Vidhana Soudha bcoz I didnt get one. To finally find one which asked me for 40 bucks to take me to St. Mark's Road.

And well, buses are much much safer if ur in the right place. And the best way to know the city, after walking...like yesterday, when i took a rick from Kammanahalli to Infantry Road, I swear I didn't know where that guy was taking me till I reached Queens Road ! Atleast with my vocab that extends to Hogi, Gottilla, and all the abhinaya that I can think of....I manage to find my way around....lol

Anonymous said...

ne1 wntng to luk at u lechereously wud hv to be blind or really really rlllllllllllllly DESPERATE... anon1

Ranjana said...

11th anon - I didn't imagine you were so pitiably ignorant. Didn't you ever know men are born blind ?!!!

Anonymous said...

i idnt write that **ne1 wntng to luk ......... why someones usin my anon1 name to write comment.. now this is anon1