January 16, 2006

From the trashcan - The war for my blood

Here's a selection of posts from my old blog which I've decided to trash at last.


A trip to the pathologist for a routine blood test. Or a visit to the doctor for a vaccine. Not some really earth-shattering thing, you would say. But for me, it is – nothing less than a nightmare. Read on, here’s a chronicle of what happens when I visit the pathologist.


I wake up with great trepidation on this doomsday. I am usually accompanied by a posse of three people, who will be of help later. As I enter the clinic, my heart starts thudding, threatening to jump out of my ribcage. My teeth start chattering and beads of sweat adorn my face, no matter how cold it is. Even my pathologist knows what to expect. He faces me with the grit and determination of a brave king going to war. All his assistants crowd around him, to give him moral support.

One of the assistants arrives with a syringe, some cotton, cleansing spirits and the other requisites. I start with the great war. Tears of fear start rolling down my cheeks. I scream out in anticipation of the torture ahead. Two people hold my legs tightly. A third person reinforces their hold. Each hand is in turn captured my two people. The hand that is going to be assaulted by the needle is held extra tight, just in case…. Another person holds my face tight, so that the procedure is not disrupted in any way.

The pathologist begins his job. The steely needle comes closer and closer. I concentrate on screaming the hell out of my body. The sobbing and weeping has reached a crescendo, my entire body is quaking and shaking thanks to the massive internal earthquake. My eyes are closed tightly. My brain – it’s a mess, one moment it thinks about all the happy things, the other moment, about all the sad. In the midst of all this, the cruel needle penetrates my arm. My life contains itself for those crucial five seconds, my heart stops beating, my brain stops functioning. I am in a trance of pain and fear.

And then it’s done. All my handlers move back with a relieved smile, even the pathologist knows he crossed a big obstacle. I suddenly realize – my ordeal is over. Relief floods my heart, it swamps my heart. I pray to the Supreme Being, wishing that I never have to go through this again. But alas! My prayers never work………

No comments: